Sunday, October 30, 2011

super secret salsa recipe

After buying cilantro at the last farmers' market the other day (another reminder that winter is coming...), I decided to whip up some of my "secret salsa." While not actually a secret, I just like to call all of the recipes I write myself my "secret recipes" to make them sound more official. This salsa can be made without cilantro, but it adds a flavor I really love. As an alternative when it's not available, try 1-2 tsp. of ground coriander (cilantro seeds).

1 can fire roasted tomatoes, or 2-3 ripe tomatoes, roasted in the oven
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (if you want a mild salsa, try 1/2 pepper)*
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sugar or brown sugar
1 tsp garlic powder or 1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
1 tsp lime juice
small handful cilantro leaves (about 1/4 cup or a little less)
dash of salt only if your tomatoes had no salt added

Put all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust the spices to your preference.

*if you're looking for chipotle peppers in adobo sauce at the supermarket, check the Mexican food aisle and look for a small can--I transfer these to a resealable container and keep them refrigerated since I only use them one at a time

This is my base recipe. Sometimes I play with add-ins, such as:
- peaches or pineapple
- black beans
- corn
- avocado
- onion (use less than you think you need--the onion flavor gets really potent)

The chipotle pepper and roasted tomatoes give this salsa a rich, smokey flavor, and the cilantro adds a fresh aftertaste. If you've never had chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, I highly recommend them! They taste sort of like what you might imagine a spicy, Mexican barbecue sauce to be.

3 comments:

uccella said...

Mmm, sounds delicious! I may have to go on a hunt for chipotle peppers...

Kristen said...

Ooh yeah! I wonder if you will be able to find them in Spain...I did a little searching and found a pretty easy sounding recipe to make them. From other recipes I read, you could substitute tomato sauce for the ketchup (not really sure why the recipe calls for ketchup anyway!?). http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/CHIPOLTE-CHILES-IN-ADOBO-SAUCE-1270128 Let me know if you make it!!

uccella said...

Oh cool, I didn't realize you could make your own sauce! I will still have to find the actual chiles, but this is a cool idea!