Tuesday, July 21, 2009

a cracker or two...or twelve

I really cannot resist a good cracker...however, the recent rise in cost of every cracker brand under the sun has been both alarming and extremely disappointing. I need something to go with my hummus and guacamole! So...I decided to make my own! When I found a recipe for cream crackers in How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, I knew I had found the perfect thing to try. I was very taken with Papadopoulos cream crackers while living in Greece and have not been able to find a suitable replacement here in the U.S.

The recipe from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian turned out very well and I'll definitely make it again, but the cream cracker resemblance was only so-so, and I'm now on the search for the perfect cream cracker recipe. If you've never had the cream cracker experience, just stay tuned....I will keep you posted on my findings!

In the meantime, make these! They were easy and delicious. If you cook at all, odds are you probably have all these ingredients on hand already...you can really re-do the flour combination however you'd like. I just prefer the whole wheat flour, but added some all-purpose to soften it up a little:

1 c whole wheat flour
1 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/3 c soy milk (or any milk variety)

Mix up all the dough ingredients. Add more milk if necessary, until the dough is smooth but not too sticky. You can add spices or other add-ins, if you'd like. (I left mine plain.) Roll out very thinly onto a floured cookie sheet and slice into pieces with a pizza cutter or pastry wheel. Sprinkle with salt and poke (I can't think of the proper cooking term) the dough with a fork so the crackers will get crunchier. There is no need to separate the cracker pieces, just leave them as they are after cutting, then bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Enjoy!

No comments: