Friday, May 01, 2009

before the discovery



I am finally finished! Yesterday I had my final critique for my semester-long advanced photography project, twenty-one rolls of film and nearly 200 sheets of photo paper later. I'm so appreciative of everyone who helped me with this project and offered words of encouragement. Here is my artist statement:

A close inspection of one’s self quickly reveals personal fears, doubts, and insecurities. It may be our nature to believe that these negative feelings are unique unto ourselves, but really, they might be so common that they could be labeled the threads which tie us all together.

My intent was to create a series of self-portraits which metaphorically revealed my own fears, doubts, and insecurities, believing that by doing so, I would not only be able to face the things which bothered me, but also connect with viewers who shared the same sentiments. By making the series, I came into several realizations, the best being that truly, our biggest, most overwhelming fears and doubts are unnecessary. Admitting what we are afraid of, no matter how big or small it may be, is the first step to relieving the burden and believing, “Everything is going to be okay.”

No comments: