Saturday, May 23, 2009

tofu is good for you

I had a lovely visit with Corey, Ben, and Lexie on Thursday and Friday. We did a lot of cooking. Corey and I had the idea to make a vegetarian "catfish" dinner out of tofu. So we made tofu nuggets, hush puppies, a few fried pickles, and threw in a salad to counteract all that was fried! It turned out really well!




The night before, Ben, Lexie, and I revisited old times by cooking dinner together at Lexie's house. When we all lived in Italy, we had nightly dinner parties. Almost all of our meals were based around potatoes, so we had a side of baked potato pieces with our dinner. We also had fresh pineapple and salad, and I had stir-fried tofu while they had chicken.




This is a rosebush I snapped from the car window not too long ago, while waiting for a train to pass. Its petals were forming a pretty puddle on the grass.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Okay, so tofu is good for you. The only problem is that it has the texture of tofu. I've tried it a few times, and I must have texture issues b/c it makes me want to gag. It is nice that it takes on whatever spices or flavors it is cooked with. It's just one of those things that I can't think about at all while I'm eating it. I'm impressed with the tofu nuggets, though. Very creative. I love fried pickles. There used to be a place in Hot Springs called Maggie's Pickle Cafe, and they had the best friend dill pickle spears. Amazing. Dave and I went there for a date one weekend only to discover it had closed. :( I've yet to find a place that fries the spears. It's usually only the dill chips, and they're so thin...

Amanda said...

Ahem..."best fried" not "best friend"...although, I would vouch for many a fried dill pickle.

Kristen said...

I understand. Maybe sometime if you have tofu cooked in an innovative way you will like it better! The tofu nuggets were very delicious.

As for fried dill pickle spears, Corey tells me they are available at the Purple Cow! Maybe when you are back in Arkansas you can make a visit. :)